Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Detoxifying and Healing - My Autoimmune Disease and Beyond

I explained in previous blogs that the tests I had taken to assess my blood chemistries are extremely compressive. The findings were astonishing and what I had to do at this stage was life changing and challenging. From eating my standard 6-8 small/medium sized meals daily, I had to cut down to the 3 allocated meals suggested to me (based on my blood chemistries), which as mentioned in previous blogs each consisted of 100g (weight) animal protein, 80g grams added fats and 50g carbohydrates (from veggies). It was strongly suggested I start looking into and using organic and were possible certified organic products. I added digestive enzymes and a probiotic, avoid having liquids with meal times and adding lemon juice to my water 30 minutes prior meals. I was told to STOP weight training (only do light walking), use a sauna daily for 25 minutes and commence with a detailed detox plan.


So week one I started on my detox plan which consisted of the sauna, eating as mentioned above and ingesting ghee in specific increasing amounts over the 7 days until I got to day 7 which involved a combination of other natural products to encourage a purge. After day 7 I was to reintroduce cultured foods into my diet. I was adding things like a few tables spoons of organic full fat natural yogurt, full fat cottage cheese and I was fermenting my own vegetables to consume. Needless to say day 7 wasn't very pleasant but really what started happening to my body from week one which lasted up to 5 weeks wasn't very nice at all. The most noticeable things were the hives that I was breaking out in and feeling tiered. Hives were coming out at different times of the day; just red lumps on various parts of my body. The combination of using a sauna which is gentle on the organs and detoxifying as well as consuming quality fats which were binding toxins to them and flushing them out through the colon meant the balance within my body was going to be worse before getting better. Just like a hurricane slowly building up its strength and collecting houses, trees, rubbish etc until it settles down and everything is released and settled. There was a stage however I felt it was going to on forever. But it took me roughly 5 weeks until the hives stopped coming out.


One of my biggest issues from years back was the lack of digestion and gut problems I had. My chemistries that were now explained to me clearly indicated these issues but what I could now begin to understand is the other effects these digestive issues play with the body and how this effectively over time placed a huge toxic overload in my body. The 7 day detox I had to do was to actually flush my gallbladder/liver and slowly rebuild a healthy gut by utilizing foods and eliminating toxins. I needed to just stick to the exact amounts everyday and not stray. Believe me, I was more than sceptical in this working but I would be the type to rely on laxatives and have colonic cleanses otherwise I could go easily one week to two weeks without using my bowls. Slowly something remarkable was happening. Roughly the same time my hives stopped appearing, I was actually beginning to use my bowls. Slowly every third day turned to the second and then everyday....NATURALLY just through the foods I mentioned, ditching my chemical/toxic loaded body creams, toothpaste/mouthwash, deodorants etc and being selective in chemical free or making my own products and detoxifying with the sauna. For those who understand the frustration in lack of bowl movements and being clogged, hear me when I say every time I visited the toilet, it was a HALLELUIAH moment. I had never been so excited to tell my husband what my body was doing. You can guess he didn't really want to know, but he was happy for me! LOL


From this point I really started to connect the dots. Having a health gut really is what determines how the rest of the body functions. Fundamentally, the gut IS your immune system. I gradually came off my digestive enzymes and probiotic as I was now making my own foods which give me the bacteria I need. It wasn’t only until I started to talk about my lack of digestion that I realized this was an issue from way back. To make it even worse, it would be even more clogged going into competitions. I had always relied on a higher protein diet, low carbohydrate and low essential fatty acid diets. When I think about post competitions, I never replenished my body with what I now as ‘nourishing’ foods. I had sweet cravings so I would eat high sugar treats and then move into what I thought was a healthy diet. This is imperative for all to know and understand that ‘healthy’ is NOT the same as ‘nourishing’. The body is made up of fats and proteins. Straying away from this too much for too long (and everybody’s effects will be different) will result in some kind of malfunction(s).


When I commenced my first year of competing I had already had an underactive thyroid. I never took prescription drugs but tried to manage this alone. Now looking back I see there were so many other issues that would gradually take over or replace the existing. From 2005 I went from thyroid issues, to adrenal fatigue, surgery for cervix T4 cancer cells, breaking in and out hives, cortisol problems, back to thyroid etc etc etc which I was in some way self-managing with foods, but now looking back at my issues I see there was one issue that was there the whole time…… my digestion (or lack of). I really cannot express enough how any digestive issues will eventually result in one or much other health (mainly labeled autoimmune) diseases/issues. Which brings me to this point – If  you have any of the following (to name a few) Lupus, Celiac, Thyroid, Sjrogen’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid or organ issues (to name a few) such as kidney, gallbladder, liver or hormone problems/depression, IBS or again even more extreme CANCER….. it all depends on your gut, how your body metabolizes and  detoxifies, what you are eating and how your body is utilizing it. Can you see how taking prescribed medications, relying on laxatives or even relying probiotics  will not cure any of these and 100’s of other health issues OR putting the body through extreme treatments such as chemotherapy will only result in malfunctioning organs/damaged tissues in other areas? If you don’t believe this or have at least the desire to do your own research, I strongly suggest you start exploring the hidden truths and facts behind my information and experiences. But this is still the beginning.....
By Georgia Holton