Monday, October 7, 2013

Lupus to the Stage - My Autoimmune Disease and Beyond


A lot has been happening in my world since my last blog on my journey to recovery from Lupus. I decided to quit  from a job I loved (but did so because I was surrounded by toxic people), finding a new job I would be able to use my skills and shared passion in,  finding new balance in home life and lifestyle in general  and deciding to get on stage again to compete.

I've spent the past 18 weeks preparing my body for another bodybuilding competition. The first of two for the year was at my 15 week mark of prep on September 15th.  I can be really honest and say that I did not bust my ass to get to the stage on September 15th. Of course my condition could have been better for competition, but I just wasn't ready mentally to push my body beyond. Was I disappointed with the outcome? Hell no!

I looked the same if not a tad better shape than other years and did it so by doing everything I'd ever done the past 3 years by half. Yes, half the weight training, half the cardio and half the protein intake but kept fats relatively high, religiously supplementing with my UPS BCAAs and Glutamine, keeping optimum digestive function and not once complained about my journey. The day post this competition I received my latest blood tests. And guess what? Absolutely negative for Lupus; autoimmune disease free.... My body is in optimum health.

If you've read my previous blogs you'd see I haven't hid any secrets from you. I've told you exactly what I needed to do to heal my body. The risk now was assessing if preparations for my comp would hinder my progress in any way. The proof is in my bloods! One of my biggest issues for many years was digestive. I know it’s something we just don't talk about, but for me it's been a defining turning point in regaining health. Within one month of my journey to correcting my health I was able to correct many digestive issues. I have explained that previously I wouldn't use my bowel for days and I was a sufferer of major bloating. I now go daily and have had no bloating. And best of all contest prep hasn't hindered this in any way!

So I'm now just a couple days post comp, round 2- the Nationals October 6th. Anyone who saw me on stage 3 weeks ago and compares me now will see some positive changes I've made for competing this time around. I upped my workout intensity, was safely able to cut some fats back without harming my body, worked on my visualisation techniques and kept reminding myself  of how far I'd come since being diagnosed 18 months ago. My challenge this time around was to simply better my overall sharp/conditioning compared to 3 weeks prior and keep my body healthy.

My whole journey to this day has been by far the most rewarding. Being able to feel my body changing via fat loss and not muscle loss as well as maintaining energy right through. My recovery has been amazing, mental health stronger plus my new found love of chemistry/food and the human body when combating autoimmune diseases and cures. 

There will be ‘that line’ that needs to be crossed when it comes to cramping down for another competition. My mind set this preparation was stuck on health and not doing myself any harm. I don't expect that just because my results for Lupus are negative I will be ok forever; but I'm now aware of things to avaoid and what my body needs. I know that how I treat my body now in the 'off season' before I commence preparations for my next competition, will be a major factor my overall conditioning and health. Within this industry of fitness and bodybuilding I wish females (more so) wouldn’t be so silly in doing ridiculous ‘carb loads’, and putting on a lot of weight to gain muscle. If you do this, you will struggle…. You will do yourself harm!


Competing in such competitions I believe is about bettering ones physical and psychological state.  What I have achieved to this day and beyond, can not be taken away from me. I have helped myself daily because I believe I deserve to be in a health body with a great state of mind. My correction of Lupus extinguished any sugar cravings I ever use to have and rid of general fatigue. I've been bouncing out of bed every morning, working all day plus my training and getting a good night sleep every single night.

I know how good I feel now because I've been at my darkest place. I fought my way through depression, lost 15 kilos since being diagnosed and changed my lifestyle for good. My all organic health & beauty range has taken off due to my own success. I will continue to do my research/study in autoimmune disorder and cancers and will continue to help others that also want change the state of their mind/bodies.... Supplementing with quality sports supplements has had a profound result in maintaining healthy connective tissue.

It is fantastic looking great on the outside, but when it comes at a serious cost it’s just not worth it. And just because you look good on the outside, this doesn’t mean your are healthy on the inside. My advice to all is pay attention to your body. Seriously, look for signs of damage like slow recovery, no muscles gains, dry skin, digestive issues, acne, lack of sleep, irregukar menstral cycles, depression, difficulty shifting body fat, dull skin, red eyes, loss of hair and fatigue. I for one can honestly say I'm thrilled to look the way I do now and know I'm in optimum health.

I’m not being stupid and sacrificing what I've worked so hard to achieve over the past 18 months.  I have my future goals set and working my way towards this. In relation to competing it’s my goal to win a WFF Southern Hemisphere title; I know that when I do win a National title, I earned it! In life I aim to build my organic business into a reputable and trusted brand; I will continue to advocate in women's health and the importance of supplementing with quality sports supplements.  Learning and researching has become a big part of my life. Overall, my personal happiness and health is most important. Sacrificing these would only lead me down the road I've travelled.  There’s no turning back now.

Us humans are meant to be so clever, but with all the resources available and knowledge shared we continue to choose to be sponges soaking up information given to us rather than doing our own research. The damage caused to my body was not solely due to putting my body through bodybuilding preparations year after year.... As I learnt it was due to environmental toxins, toxic daily products, my attitude in life and lack of confidence, taking on too much responsibility, not educating myself, not resting well, putting others first and much much more. 

Life shouldn't just be about that day you aim to compete in any sport, start a new job, get married, buy a house, have a baby, or make any changes in life. We should all be living for the journey and what we learn along the way, not the destination. Don't blame anything or anyone for your weight gain, job loss, relationship breakdown and so on. We all end up in certain situations mostly because we allowed it. Most importantly don't wait for the answers to come to you.... Go and find them yourself. You will be surprised at what you will find! 

Georgia Holton